McCormick 50 RECREATION CENTRE

RECREATION CENTRE

McCormick Arena is situated on the site of the original McCormick Recreation Centre. The McCormick Recreation Centre at 163 Brock Avenue opened 110 years ago on September 21, 1912, a Georgian Revival-style building that was Canada’s first year-round community recreation centre and Toronto’s largest one until its closure in 1964. Located next to it, the second McCormick Recreation Centre at 66 Sheridan Avenue opened on October 29, 1964, a larger and modernist-style building that was reopened later as the Mary McCormick Recreation Centre on January 25, 2003.

1913 - 1915

Image 1 of 10

1913-10-15 Brock Avenue Playground, Recreation Centre in the Background - Toronto Archives

1916

Image 1 of 13

1916-02-10 McCormick Playground Equipment Sandbox - Toronto Archives

1917 - 1922

Image 1 of 16

1917-03-07 McCormick Recreation Centre Dance - Toronto Archives

1923

Image 17 of 18

1923-09-01 McCormick Playground, McCormick Baseball Team - Photo 5 - Toronto Archives

1924 - 1925

Image 1 of 14

1924-01-30 McCormick Playground, McCormick Ladies Group - Toronto Archives

1926 - 1934

Image 1 of 15

1926-04-09 McCormick Playground Wading Pool - Toronto Archives

1935 - 1937

Image 1 of 10

1935-04-25 McCormick Playground Easter Egg Hunt and Treasure Hunt for Girls - Photo 1 - Toronto Archives

1939 - 1941

Image 1 of 12

1939-08-29 McCormick Playground Equipment Baby Swings - Photo 1 - Toronto Archives